What’s Before the Council
Our City Council has the opportunity to redevelop publicly owned land for the benefit of our community. But, an out-of-town private business owner wants to stop an open, informed, and responsible decision-making process so he can get a deal where he gets free land and pays no property taxes.
Agenda Item 60, set for a council vote on Thursday, June 28, will ensure council has enough time to make an informed decision, and can weigh all options for the best deal for taxpayers.
By supporting Item 60 at the Council meeting on June 28, you are supporting an informed, fair and competitive process for 10414 McKalla Place—a site twice determined by City staff to be the #1 tract of public land for mixed-use development and affordable housing.
Support for Item 60 is support for local taxpayers over wealthy out-of-town special interests.
Take action today! We’ve made it easy for you! Support Item 60 by:
- Contacting your council member
- Signing our petition
- Engaging on social media
Contact Your Council Member
Reach out to your district’s council member, the mayor, and any council member with whom you have a good relationship. Urge them to support Item 60.
Not sure who your council member is? Click here to find out who represents you. (scroll midway down the page for the “District Lookup” search bar)
Call Your Council Member
Call your council member to discuss this issue. You can use the sample language below. When you call, ask to speak to the staffer that handles economic development:
“Hello, my name is ________ and I am one of your constituents. I’m calling to ask that you vote for Agenda Item 60, as proposed. The city needs to examine all options available for uses of public lands before it can make an informed and responsible decision. This measure is essential to ensuring the needs of the whole community are met.”
Call your council members’ office:
- Mayor Adler: 512-978-2100
- District 1 – Ora Houston: 512-978-2101
- District 2 – Delia Garza: 512-978-2102
- District 3 – Sabino “Pio” Renteria: 512-978-2103
- District 4 – Gregorio “Greg” Casar: 512-987-2104
- District 5 – Ann Kitchen: 512-978-2105
- District 6 – Jimmy Flannigan: 512-978-2106
- District 7 – Leslie Pool: 512-978-2107
- District 8 – Ellen Troxclair: 512-978-2108
- District 9 – Kathie Tovo: 512-978-2109
- District 10 – Allison Alter: 512-978-2110
Send an Email
Sending an email to your council member is a great way to register your support for Item 60. And it can be easy, too!
There are many good reasons to support Item 60, and there are five reasons to highlight to council members:
- The stadium won’t pay property tax.
- Taxpayers will subsidize the stadium profits—and won’t get anything in return.
- Taxpayers will have to borrow $50 million to build affordable housing somewhere else.
- The stadium is not building any parking lots. Imagine what traffic and parking will look like.
- Public land should be put to an RFP to find the best deal for taxpayers and the community.
Click a sample email below to send to your council member:
- General Support for Agenda Item 60
- No Tax Loopholes
- No Profit Share, No Partnership
- Affordable Housing
- Parking & Traffic
- RFP McKalla NOW
Email your council member and Mayor Adler today:
- District 1 – Ora Houston: email@example.com
- District 2 – Delia Garza: firstname.lastname@example.org
- District 3 – Sabino “Pio” Renteria: email@example.com
- District 4 – Gregorio “Greg” Casar: firstname.lastname@example.org
- District 5 – Ann Kitchen: email@example.com
- District 6 – Jimmy Flannigan: firstname.lastname@example.org
- District 7 – Leslie Pool: email@example.com
- District 8 – Ellen Troxclair: firstname.lastname@example.org
- District 9 – Kathie Tovo: Kathie.email@example.com
- District 10 – Allison Alter: Alison.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mayor Adler: email@example.com
Sign Our Petition
No Soccer Subsidy is collecting signatures from concerned community members to send to the City Council Members prior to them voting on this important issue. Sign the No Soccer Subsidy Petition.
Engage on Social Media
Help spread the word about Item 60 by participating on social media! Tell everyone how you feel about PS1.04 and PS1.07 by tagging @NoSubsidy on twitter & @NoSubsidyMcKallaPlace on Facebook. Or join the conversation with the hashtags #MLS2ATX #PlayFair #BidMcKalla #OurLandOurChoice